Artists Exchange Residency Opportunities
Street Level Photoworks in collaboration with VU Photography Centre, Quebec are delighted to launch a call for submissions for artists working with photography, for International residencies, one in October 2017 and one in April 2018.
We are looking for 2 dynamic artists from Scotland to participate in this exciting opportunity that is part funded by British Council’s office in Canada and Quebec Government.
The opportunity includes a funded one-month stay in Quebec at the artscooperative Meduse, access to VU’s photographic facility, with the output of an exhibition bringing the work together in a partner venue in 2018/19. The residency will involve an online creative exchange between the selected artists in Scotland and those in Quebec around themes of heritage and migration.
Flight, accommodation, per diems, exhibition production support and an artists fee of £1000 is available.
The residency will involve creative dialogue with a partnered Quebecois artist prior to the residency stay in Quebec, with opportunities for further dialogue during the reciprocal stay in Scotland by the Quebecois artist. Some of this dialogue will be captured on a project blog.
Dates for Scottish artists in Quebec: October 2017 / April 2018
Each artist will contribute work made during their residency time for exhibitions that will take place in Glasgow and Quebec in 2018/19. A touring version of the exhibition will also be produced.
Two writers commissioned for the project will create a piece of writing responding to the work created across the 2 years and which will feature in an exhibition brochure.
Fees and support
• One month residency at VU, flight & accommodation provided and per diems
• Artist fee: £1000 – this includes residency fee, exhibition payment and image release rights for touring and online presentation/promotion/marketing by VU, SLP and funders.
• Production cost of work for exhibition at SLP and VU and touring version will be covered by each respective venue - scope of this is to be determined.
On offer at VU:
• Free access to all production facilities, this includes digital work stations, Hassleblad scanner, b&w darkroom and film processing. This is a shared facility so some restrictions will apply.
• Print voucher worth $250
VU is an artist-run centre which since 1981 has been dedicated to the development of the photographic image. The centre offers a varied programme of activities such as exhibitions and public talks. VU also provides artists and its members with access to its production equipment for digital and silver gelatin photography. The centre supports emerging practices and promotes critical thinking about the issues in contemporary photography. VU also has a documentation centre where researchers and students can find a large collection of material on contemporary photography. VU is a non-profit organisation made up of and administered by an artists' collective. Its board of directors is composed of artists and professionals in the visual arts. The centre is a member of the Méduse cooperative in Quebec City. More details can be found: www.vuphoto.org
• Must have a strong track record of photographic practice.
• Must be resident in Scotland.
• Must be available to travel for the dates stated.
• Must be available for liaison with Qubecois artist during their stay in Scotland (mid-Aug to mid-Sep 2017 and June 2018.)
• The successful artists must take out medical and equipment insurance for the duration of their residency.
• The successful artists must submit a report on completion.
• Students and those in Further Education are not eligible.
The selection of the two Scottish artists will be made by VU in Québec city.
Completed application forms should be emailed to: email@example.com with subject title: SLP/VU Residency Application.
Please adhere to the image size guidelines detailed in the application form.
Deadline for submission of applications with all support material: 2nd June 5.00pm.